Friday, February 8, 2013

{Nesting}

 I have a small collection of found bird nests in my home that were suffering from "empty nest syndrome", so I filled them up with some pretty little quail eggs.  Aren't the variations of the colors and markings pretty?

Each nest seems to have its own personality to me, which I suppose is due to the type of bird that made it, but I tend to personalize pretty things.  My son found this tiny little nest while playing in the woods.  It's a sturdy, well-built little nest.  One very fussy little bird must have built this nest - it looks so neat and clean, with every bit of grass and twig in its place.

This one I spotted on the side of our gravel road.  I have no idea how it got there, because it's plastered with mud, so it's heavy and fairly large and there is no tree nearby.  I felt like it landed there just for me to find.  This one says, "southwestern style".  After all it's made of the same thing as adobe bricks - mud and straw.
 This one is the "free spirit" nest in my group.  It may look like it's having a bad hair day, but what makes it special is that the birds made it from our horse's hair.  I can envision a creative, fluttery little bird, going back and forth over our pasture selecting hairs, then coming back and artistically weaving them into the nest.  It's an itty bitty thing that will only hold one of my eggs.
I've just had my nests sitting here and there around my house, but I discovered this cute little wooden box out in our barn, which is just perfect for them.  That's the nice thing about moving into old houses - we've always found a least a few old goodies left behind by previous owners.
I've got several projects I'm working on inside my "nest", so it's a mess right now, but at least my little nests are looking very cozy!
Come back on Wednesday, when I'll share some gorgeous antique egg prints, that would look beautiful printed and framed!

Until then, have a wonderful weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I love nests, too. The one made with your horse's hair is so unique and beautiful and your blue box is just darling!
    I'm looking forward to seeing those egg prints on Wednesday :)
    Have a good weekend!

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie ... love your real nests. I don't find many of them around here and if I do, they fall apart pretty easily. I think the Robins build their nest with mud. The eggs are really cute too.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you gathered your nests on the (almost) robin's egg blue little box. Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your nests Angie - how gorgeous!!!
    You really are such an inspiration
    And love your new header photo too!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie so beautiful projects. You are very active and talented love it
    have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. H Angie, Love your nest collection. This time of year, I start to paint them on found treasures. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your nest collection and they look extra sweet with the quail eggs! Hoping I find some empty nests myself this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to know other people collect birds nest. I have gotten them out of fallen trees before, and I get this look from my husband that is just too funny. He thinks I am crazy. Your collection is wonderful. I especially like the little blue box. Ready for spring, and more nest!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your nests, and how you display them. We found only one this year on a walk but couldn't pick it up as it was drenched by severe rains and was falling apart everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To think they get them made at all is amazing. It was fun to see the different styles and hearing about the ones made of horse hair. That would have been fun to watch.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nests are tweet. I mean sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your little nests. the real nests are so much cuter than the fakes. I have to admit I have quite a few of the store bought ones, but there's an old one in a small tree outside that I have my eye on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Angie, I just love your nests (and the stories behind them)! Isn't amazing that these little feathered mommies (and daddies?)-to-be instinctively know how to create the perfect cozy incubator/future cradle for their babies--without taking a single childbirth/parenting class and/or scouring Pinterest for nursery ideas?!?; )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for showing the nests. I love them, too! Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make my day!