Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Antique Graphics Wednesday - Dear Little Boy of Mine, Beanee Weenees, New Underwear & a Sale!

I do have an antique graphic to share with you today, but bear with me as I share a little peek into my family life first.

My oldest son left for Basic Training before dawn Tuesday morning.  This might sound kooky, but I couldn't stand the thought that he didn't need to take anything with him, except his cell phone, driver's license and birth certificate.  Nothing...just the clothes on his back, those few articles of identification, and his phone.

"Can't I get you a pack of new underwear and socks?", I asked him.
"No, mom.  I won't need it."  I told him I really thought I should get him some anyway, "just in case".  
His response?  "Mom, have you forgotten about the Beanee Weenee ordeal, and the fact that I went through Boy Scouts with the knickname Beanie Weenee because of it?"

I had forgotten about part of it, and didn't even know the other part.  When he was in the 6th grade, he joined Boy Scouts and went on his first backpacking camping trip.  The Boy Scout motto is, "Be Prepared", and I wanted to make sure my boy was well prepared for those several days he'd be away from home and the refrigerator, so like any good mother, I bought him food that didn't require refrigeration.  My son liked Beanie Weenees, so this good mom bought him 3 or 4 pull-tab cans of them, in addition to other snacks that didn't require a can opener either.  What this good mom didn't take into account was how heavy canned goods are, and the fact that he'd be toting all that weight on his back...for miles.  I addition to all the food, I made sure he took a clean pair of clothing for each day he'd be gone, extra socks, a warm coat, a rain coat...you get the idea.  Apparently I missed the memo, that unless they are soaking wet, Boy Scouts don't change their clothes much on campouts, so he didn't need all those clothes I insisted he pack.

We met up with the Scout troop and I was prepared to bid him goodbye, when his Scoutmaster picked up his backpack, and exclaimed, "What the heck do you have in this thing?", and proceeded to unload his backpack and pull out all the Beanie Weenees I had bought him.  What my son never told me until yesterday, is that he went through Boy Scouts with the name, "Beanie Weenee".

The evening before he left, my youngest son wanted to have a snowball fight.  It felt so good to spend that last evening before he left, together as a family.
My middle son chose an unfair weapon, using a shovel to scoop up massive amounts of snow.  Yes...that's my rear sticking up in the air.
 Oh look...there's my rear end again.
 Middle son has the goofiest look on his face, but he was winding up to really bean someone upside the head.
Brave future soldier boy, runs for the cover of our vehicle.
 Youngest son is about ready to get his drawers stuffed with a snowball by middle son.
 Rear in the air again, providing the perfect target for youngest son and my husband.
 It seems that if I wasn't sticking my rear in the air this whole fight, I was falling on it.  I sat down on my cute red metal chair, only to have it collapse on me.
(Note to self - turn that darn chair into my next chair recycling project!)
 My daughter didn't want to get hit with snowballs, so she opted to be the photographer and isn't in these photos, but we went out to eat at my son's choice of restaurant two nights before he left, where I shot this photo.
I'll probably be a blubbering mess all week, waiting to hear from him, and knowing I won't see him for at least 9 weeks.  He'll be gone for 17 long weeks.  I hope these months fly by quickly.
So...in honor of my "dear little boy" (because he'll always be my little boy), I hope you moms of boys will like these pages of antique sheet music.

Starting today, each Wednesday, I'll be featuring one or two items from my shop, discounted 20% to the first person who contacts me!  Just send me a message at jasmasix {at} msn {dot} com and I'll apply the discount and reserve the item(s) in your name.
Here are your two choices this week:
Vintage Wooden Shoe Last - Reg. $10.50 - Your Price $8.40 + shipping
Vintage Wooden Shoe Last - Shoe Form - St. Louis, MO
Birds on Branch with Numbers Coat Hooks - Reg. $24 / Your Price - $19.20 + shipping
Birds on a Branch Wall Hooks - Created from Antique Salvaged Wood

Blessings,
Angie

22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Angie - and what a beautiful family you have!
    You're brave - I would have been the photographer - without a doubt lol
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I got so caught up in the merriment of your photos I forgot to say - " Godspeed " for your dear little boy - may he come home safe and sound - and may his experience enrich his life fully
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. while he is gone,you can look at these photos and the joy that you remember will bring a smile and laughter to you!! your children are beautiful...the photo of all of them is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post Angie and a cute story. Looks like you were all having such a good time. This brought back so many memories of when my oldest went off to basic training almost 4 years ago. Bless him for his service to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tears reading this. The first part about not needing to take anything with him is heartbreaking to me for some reason. You have a lovely family. I am sure that there are many prayers protecting him for these long weeks. BUT I hope none of his fellow recruits reads the part about the nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.. Barbra Jean sent me here. SHE Is a doll.. I am so glad that I visited and now your newest follower... OMGOODNESS LOVE IT all .. YOU have a beautiful family and blog. I am new at blogging and would love for you to visit adn follow along. HUGS and blessings and thanks fro having me .......Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful family, and I know you love them all dearly. I wish you and your son a safe journey in his new walk in life. I can feel your pain as I read your blog. Although I have to say, I got a real kick out of you explaining the beanie weanies...LOL... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful family you have! Thank YOU too for letting go (when as I know so well how much a momma wants to hang on) and sharing your beautiful "boy" in service. Through your tears, smile broadly in pride. This kind of pride in raising good children is justified.

    And thanks too for the giggles. The beanie weenie story is a hoot...as well as your daughter's strategic photo shoot.

    Hugs and cheers to you and yours,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angie,
    What a cute post. It has surely put a smile on my face. Your family is adorable and so fun loving. It's so nice seeing you all enjoy one another's company.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angie,
    Your post brought tears to my eyes, remembering when my son went off to the military. You'll be just amazed at who he grows into and how quickly that happens. And, yes, you will blubber some along the way. Hugs and thanks for sharing!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Proud mom here of a United States Marine. Unfortunately when my son left he didn't have the visual of my rear in the air to make him laugh for weeks on end (no pun intended). Smart move on your part, although while it might bring him joy during morning PT, I might need therapy from it.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, this made me laugh and cry at the same time. Beautiful family moments. Prayers for your brave son.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear Angie....I'd be a blubbering mess sending my child off to training camp! You can talk to us all you want in the coming weeks about missing and worrying about your son...we're here to listen! I LOVE the photos - and your honesty in including your butt shots! They made for a good laugh for the rest of us who can relate! Have a great day - we'll say prayers for you and your son - I'm sure he'll do just fine - it's the Mom that needs the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Angie! Love the photos -- especially those of your erm... "rear in the air"! LOL!

    Hope the time flies by and he is back with you all soon.

    ReplyDelete

  15. Bless your heart, I would be a blubbering mess also. I will be thinking of you and you just post about it while your crying, I will listen

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed and cried right along with you in your post. I have lived this moment before you and know some of what you are going through. No one knows completely because it is your son and your heart, but please know that there are many of us right beside you to help you through the tears and jears and laughs and loves along this journey. My heart and thanks to you and your family, especially your new "recruit" into the military. Godspeed to you all! Also, thank you for the new graphic....it is perfect!! Love your blog and enjoy it each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful photos.... and I don't mind this vantage point as I have zero chance of getting hit with one of those snowballs! Hope these weeks fly by quickly for your and Beanie Weenie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved seeing a little bit of your family life ... and what a good looking family too. Best wishes to your son as he goes through basic training. I was blubbering with you just reading this; partly because I was remembering the day my son left for basic training. I love the graphic today...Thank you very much!!!!
    xo
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  19. God bless you, Angie- Thank you for your son who is going out for his country and for all of US! Keep praying and we all will, too! I love your blog and your ideas and your love for the Lord. You have inspired and strengthened me. God bless and may He walk with your son in all his travels. Hugs--
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great post.Your son will soon call and the time will fly by fast.I will keep him and you in my prayers.and.Thank You for raising such a great son and for him entering the service and protecting our country.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Angie ... love the story and the "fun in the snow" photos ... funny, not to see somebody getting clobbered with a big snowball. Poor aim or good dodging ... what fun. Looks like you gave them a good target several times. Thoughts and prayers are here for you and your family. Our kids grow up to fast and it is so hard to let go. Be proud. You have a lovely family.
    God's Blessings to all.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...