Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Other Side of the Bed and a Tale of Woe

Normally, I like to share a "theme" for Thursday, of projects I worked on throughout the week, but I'm still finishing up a few of them, so I have another project I finished last week to show you instead.
It has a bit of a tear-jerker story to go with it though, so have your tissues in hand.
Repurposed Bed Side Rail into Coat Rack via Knick of Time
I don't usually think of myself as a possession-crazed person, but I admit that even though I know you can't take things with you when you die, I still wouldn't mind having my gravestone decorated with a few of my possessions...like that pretty little ironstone gravy boat you see in this photo.Repurposed Bed Side Rail into Coat Rack via Knick of Time
I'm not sure where I got it, but I adore it...or did.  
It was perfectly crazed with age, and had the most dainty shape, and I even adored the Alfred Meakin marking with a crown on the bottom.   I displayed in my kitchen and it always brought a smile to my face....til a few days ago, that is. (this photo was taken a few years ago, when I listed it in my shop, then changed my mind and decided to keep it).
Cottage White Hurricane Candle Holder
 I created a new coat rack from an antique bed side rail, (you can see the coat rack I made from other side rail HERE), and I carried it out to our barn to take photos of it, so I could list it in my shop.  The coat rack has a cottage style to it, so I gathered up some of my things I thought would look pretty hanging on it.  I finished my photos, then carried it back inside.  I should have taken the pretty gravy boat off the coat rack, but this coat rack is very long and it was awkward trying to carry it, and open the door, so I left everything hanging on it.  I got back inside the house, lay it across the kitchen table, and just as I was moving away from it, my coat hit the gravy boat, knocking it to the wood floor, where it broke in many pieces.  I seriously wanted to cry.
So, today I have one less treasure on earth.
Repurposed Bed Side Rail into Coat Rack via Knick of Time
I'll admit though, that I will be on the lookout for another antique Alfred Meakin, perfectly crazed & browned creamer.  In fact, I already checked Etsy and didn't find one, but I confess, I did find this sweet little thing and bought it, so I guess I don't really have one less treasure after all.
Primitive Tepco Ironstone Cream Pitcher, 119
I had it out of the box for about 2 minutes and had to take some photos of it,
which I shared last Sunday.  It's the perfect little buddy for my larger pitcher.  I guarantee you, you'll be seeing more of this little beauty in future photos - I'm in love with her already.
I do need to remind myself though, that these special "treasures" I have are just things...not real treasures.  Even though getting these photos was the cause of its demise (well, my stupidity is actually the cause, but I'll blame the photos), I am glad that at least I have the photos to remember it by.

Blessings,
Angie

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
       Matthew 6:19-21



35 comments:

  1. There is such a sick feeling when something we love breaks...and then we remember they are "things" and we have photographs for memories...and then something new comes along and we learn to love it too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your broken treasure, Angie. Your new little pitcher is SO sweet.

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! Sorry about the broken gravy boat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had this same conversation with one of my friends trying to sell her house to move to her lake cottage. She said, "I love all of my STUFF...." I told her how much I understood. We shouldn't LOVE our stuff, but it is so hard, because something has drawn us to it in the first place.

    I LOVE your old AND new pitcher!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute! AND I love your blog!! found you through Beyond the Picket Fence:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so sorry you lost a treasure--but there are so many treasures yet to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel better knowing I'm not the only antique murderer out there! I managed to hit a flow blue plate that was hung over my kitchen door and smashed it to a million pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Angie,

    I spotted the link to this post on Villabarnes and thought I would come over and see what its about. What a sad tale with a happy ending! The last pic in this post is so wonderfully dreamy. You must photograph more in this pretty corner next to the window....I love the setting and the soft romantic light!!!

    This is one of my favourite pics!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Angie, so sorry for your "loss"... and what a great saying at the end. Yes, it is true that these are just "things" and we shouldn't LOVE them, but I think what we love is the stories they bring to our lives; the history and craftsmanship they represent.

    Perhaps you can repurpose the shards into another project?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this post is packed with a lesson for us all, not to let possessions own us.
    And I know I've said this before, but I just can't get over your header. I could look at that photo all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your post. It's a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angie, I have a whole collection of these sweet pitchers! I culled them down to a dozen and have been selling the rest in my booth. I must admit that the gravy boat did tug at my heartstrings too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have done that, hahaha, so many times it doesn't even faz me anymore!
    I LOVE your new header!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how you feel. I just lost a beautiful cloche...my husband knocked it over...and trust me, it wasn't even in a busy spot. I wasn't happy....but it is just a thing....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch...that does hurt! I've lost so many favorite things that are only sweet memories, now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was indeed a sweet little thing! I, too, know we can't take them with us but they do bring such joy and warmth to our hearts while we are here on earth. I know my Father is always thinking of me but when He puts something in my path to buy that I've been thinking of for ages - just brings it right to me - the exact one - I feel especially grateful. He knows my heart's desires and even though material things aren't important, it's so neat to know that He sends me something special just because He loves me. Your new pitcher is wonderful! Looking forward to more pix!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi Angie ... so sorry that you broke you little pitcher. If it were mine Mr. Z. would glue it back together with 527 glue and I would continue to display it. I collect Alfred Meakin iron stone too and would hate to break any of mine. The little pitcher you bought is just as beautiful and I know you will enjoy it. Love the look of them on the ladder.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bummer about the gravy boat...I do stuff like that way more than I would like to admit :(
    Love your new treasure though...and that coat rack!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The ironstone pitcher is what I saw first! I have a fairly good collection going, I have mix and match dinner ware that we use every day. Plates are all different sizes, etc etc. And I love each and everyone of my mini to large pitchers, to platters to cereal bowls to larger bowls. And I am taking each one with me when I leave this place!!! God will understand. I find pieces at yard sales, flea markets, antiques stores....Nice post and be happy with your new pitcher. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I saw your lost treasure and the sad tale of woe it sent me running upstairs to my "yet to be listed" Etsy stash. I knew I had bought one very similar to yours over the summer and thought maybe I could replace it for you. But alas...it is not Alfred Meakin, it's Vodrey China. Ah well, I tried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Angie,
    So~o~o sorry that your gravy boat is no more.
    I love your Scripture and you, dear one, are a treasure...thank you for this blessed message today.
    Your newest pitcher find is a nice addition to your collection!
    Enjoy "the hunt" for a new vintage gravy boat!
    Fondly,
    Pat
    P.S. I found your blog through a friend's FB page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's good we have that verse to remind us because it's so hard not to get enamored of our treasures. I'm sorry for your loss. What a heartbreak. It was beautiful. Your blue wood coat rack is pretty fabulous too, though. I love the setting outside where you photographed it. Great shot.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  23. I must say Angie, you're getting mighty sassy with your new camera. Dynamite shots!! I picked up the same camera recently and I can't stand it. You're gonna have to share some of your tips before I fly mine out the window :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am stopping in from Get Schooled.... Ihave to admit that before the page even loaded and Ijust saw your top image, I knew I'd be following you. I LOVE THE CLOCKS ON THE LADDER. But love this post too!:) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sad about your gravy boat. But I do love the coat rack.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really enjoyed this post. It's a good reminder for us all. I did the same thing with a Glass milk jug. Took a photo of it for my blog and dropped it on the way back into my house :( You know what, i don't really miss it :) Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a great post and I love that verse! Glad you were able to somewhat replace your treasure. :D Thanks for linking up! Clydia @ IT'S PARTY TIME (Three Mango Seeds) PS -- I just love your header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I know that feeling, particularly that in hindsight you could have prevented it! Good luck with your search for a new one- you may end up with quite a collection of little jugs in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been there...I'm sorry it got broken. The new pitcher is sweet. :)
    love the coat rack!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  30. Angie,
    I love your pictures. Beautiful. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_22.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aww, Angie, I am so sorry that you lost your beloved gravy boat.: ( But I think that your mama pitcher was longing for her very own baby pitcher, and the two of them look so happy together on your beautiful step ladder!♥ Oh, and what a gorgeous photo you took of them... it's definitely frame-worthy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. LoVe your header photo - how neat! (Brrrr) But how neat!
    Enjoyed your post - sorry the gravy bowl got broken - it had neat little "feet" on it. Did you save the pieces to do something else with it?
    Love the photos, esp the header and the one with the side of the building.
    Here by way of Liz's TTT
    Thanks! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  33. beautiful styling, angie, and i love the character of your blog header!

    visiting via miss mustard seed and would love to have you stop by when you have a moment.

    happy weekend to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aw, I hate you broke your little gravy boat. *sadface* Your Bible verse should make you feel better, though. I like your coat rack. It's pretty! (love the blue)

    Linking from Share Your Cup Thursday,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  35. Angie, as sad as I am I must admit that I'm happy to know that I am not the only one. I did the exact same thing to a white tea pot. (well, just broke off part of the spout). I was setting it up for a teatime photo display and bumped it with something and chipped off the end. I too wanted to cry. Although it didn't meet it's demise I wounded the poor soul. Your new find is a precious thing. Yes, they are just things and there are certainly more important things in life. But they make us happy and the dear Lord wants us to be happy! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...