Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Special Christmas Moment

I'm recycling a photo I shared with you a few
months ago for a reason.
I experienced a "small moment" the other day...
a "Christmas moment", that I won't forget.
I was blessed, and I hope you'll be blessed
by me sharing it with you.

I've gotta confess, I don't enjoy the holidays
as much as I used to.  I seems like they come
speeding through the calendar like a freight train,
and I don't have time to just relax and enjoy the
season.  I feel a little frustrated when the bell ringers
are ones doing community service, who don't
really want to be there and they half-heartedly
ring the bells and rarely say, "Merry Christmas".

I miss getting together with our
extended family and feel a little sad
every year when we can't spend Christmas with them.
Shipping gifts off to them just
isn't the same as getting together with them,
enjoying a Christmas meal and
having fun opening gifts together.

In short...I've become a little Grinchish.
But there's hope for a Grinch, right?

I was in town running errands a few nights ago,
and as usual, was in a huge hurry and just
wanted to get home to finish the 100
things that still needed to be done
before I could go to bed.

My middle son and I went to Aldi
for some groceries.  Those of you who shop
at Aldi know they don't accept credit cards.
I know that.  I forgot.

I got to the cash register,
with my half-full cart, got out
my card, then stood there stupidly
wondering why the machine was asking me
for my pin number.  Then I remembered.

I didn't have my debit card with me,
and my son forgot his wallet,
so neither of us had a way to pay for the groceries.

I felt so dumb and embarrassed,
and stood there for a moment, trying
to think if my bank was open so I could
leave and go get cash.

Another woman was behind me in line,
with a son that looked to be about the same
age as my son.  She looked at me and said,
"I'll get it for you."
I was confused for a moment,
trying to figure out what she meant.

The next thing I new, she was
scanning HER debit card, paying for my $65
worth of groceries.  To say I was stunned
would be an understatement.  To say
I felt humbled, would also be an understatement.

I love the warm fuzzy feeling of giving
to other people, but I'll admit,
being on the receiving end of "charity"
is awkward and humbling.

Swallowing my pride, I told
the woman, "That's okay, you don't have
to do that."  Her response...
"It's happened to me before too...and it's Christmas.
I don't mind at all."

She gave me the warmest and most sincere smile,
and stretched out her arm to rub my shoulder.
I hope she didn't think I was a nut,
but with every bit of "peace on Earth, goodwill to men"
in me, I reached out and hugged that lady.

I asked if she had a business card,
so I could send her the money, but
she grinned and said she didn't.
I had the feeling she did.

On my way out the door, I ran into
a gal from our homeschool group, and shared
what just happened with her.  She told me she
had cash she could loan me, so I could pay the woman,
and I could just pay her back later.

I quickly went out and found the woman
putting her groceries in the car and
gave her the money.  When I put it in her
hand, she put her other hand on top of mine
for a moment, and said, "Are you sure?"
I assured her that my friend was happy
to loan it to me and I whole-heartedly
wished her a "Merry Christmas", and
told her that she had just brightened
my Christmas by her generosity and kindness.

I hope the Lord pours a special blessing on her...
whoever she is.  This Grinch's heart was melted.
Angie


25 comments:

  1. Oh what a heart warming story, what a precious woman. I've always looked for ways to do this kind of thing for others. I love Aldi-shop there often. Cute video---your'e not a grinch at all.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. He works in mysterious ways! Thanks for sharing and so thankful you're not feeling like a Grinch anymore! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having a poor me pity party today and feeling extra-stressed with a sick husband, a dirty house, presents to buy, decorations to finish, and a bell-ringers who was too busy talking on the phone to even acknowledge a donation. Angie, then I came here during a brief break in the madness to find a small moment of true giving. You have restored my spirit. I am forgetting the house and all to go watch Elf and sip hot chocolate. A HUGE THANK YOU! I really needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie- What a wonderful experience. It really restores your faith in mankind, doesn't it? I needed to hear a blessing like this today- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Angie, thank you for writing this. I understand about the creeping Grinchiness and the dreadful, shocking events in the news make it hard get up and feel good about Christmas. But this made me feel better, and reconciled some of the miserable sadness of recent events with the knowledge that some good things can always be found and that people are, on the whole, good and kind, rather than evil or mean.

    Merry Christmas blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so nice of her. And, for your friend to have the cash with her so that you could give the lady the money, was awesome. This reminds me of the statement of paying it forward. I'm sure this will bring you warmth and joy every time you think about it. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story, I thought that only happened in movies! Thank you for sharing!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sad that we get caught up in the "madness" of the Christmas holiday and forget the true meaning of it all, isn't it? I'm just as guilty and wonder if and when I'll get to sit back and enjoy so I make myself take time to do so. Right now, I'm watching "White Christmas" for the umpteenth time all the while working on sewing projects, wrapping gifts or even finishing the last of my online Christmas shopping.
    God knew what you needed that day to get your focus back on the true meaning of Christmas. What a sweet blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Angie, what a wonderful story. Thank you for "melting" *my* heart for the first time since hearing about the horrific tragedy in Connecticut yesterday. There *are* good people in the world... we must never forget that.

    I will say a prayer for your Good Samaritan before I fall asleep tonight.

    (And yes, I have been blessed by your having shared your heartwarming story.♥ Thank you again.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie, it really is a blessing to hear this story today. Good people are all around us, but unfortunately those kind of stories just don't "make the press" as often as the negative ones. Earlier in the week I encountered a kind soul myself. A woman purchased an item from me, and (totally my own fault) the shipping ended up being more than I had charged her. When she received the item she noticed how much more I paid for the shipping. She sent me an additional payment with a note explaining that she would not have me cover the extra shipping expense AND she was sending a few dollars over the amount just because she loved the item so much! The timing of her kindness was such a blessing to me, confirmation that God knows what we need, just when we need it. I will ask God to bless the kind woman you encountered in a special way. I will also pray that we will all be "that person" when the opportunity arises.
    Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming experience!

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story! With everything that is going on--it is so heartwarming to hear the good in the world. There is so many good people!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I loved reading your story......its lovely to know there are still people willing to give.
    Thanks so much for sharing and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angie, I have been in the same Aldi's when I lived in your area. What a lovely story of generosity. You and your writing is a blessing to me. May we meet whenever I move back to the area. Peace, Love and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angie, I too have been feeling the Grinch this season combined with recent horror in CT--thank you for sharing your story reconfirming that good and kindness still appears. Merry and Many Blessings to you and your family, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely story!! It was, indeed, a blessing to me to read it. And I echo your thought, Bless that lady!! Can you imagine the joy that sweet soul brings to everyone fortunate enough to be in her life? (of course you can, for a moment, you were, and because you shared, so was I!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful gift to you, just a small moment to remind you it's the small moments!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angie, a great story! I'm sure you'll do the same for someone when the chance arises. I was blessed to do the same for someone last month, although on a much smaller scale. I was at the thrift shop and the woman in front of me was buying something she needed to prepare her Thanksgiving meal. She was short of the total, so I pitched in, feeling blessed to be there at that moment. I like to go to this particular store because their proceeds feed the hungry. Because I am a regular they tend to give me some good deals, and I was happy to be able to pass that along to another. I pray for these moments to come to me, and I try to embrace them and do what I can do if it is within my power. Random acts of kindness. There but for the grace of God go I. Entertaining angels. WWJD? One of these will always pop into my mind at these times.

    SO glad that you were able to experience such a lovely moment with your son.

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this very touching story with us. God bless all kind samaritans around the world. They surely are guardian angels placed amongst us to touch our souls,give us hope and to restore our faith in humanity.

    Hugs!:)
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. We truly live in a wonderful town with wonderful people. Great story to remember each and every Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes we just need to read a story like yours to restore faith in our fellow man. Thanks for sharing, Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post!! Such a great reminder that there are still thoughtful, generous people out there, and that we should all strive to be more like that special woman!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet story to hear in this day & age! Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  23. good morning Angie ... this event was meant to happen ... just look at all who have been blessed by your experience and you have the means to spread it to so many people at this special time when all hearts are sadden by an EVIL deed that has effected everyone.
    Christmas Blessings, my friend.
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  24. Angie- what a wonderful post. So glad someone found you and ministered to you in such a way. I know how you were feeling- it seems like lots of people can relate. Your story brought tears to my eyes. What a kind gesture. And how gracious you were in your acceptance of her help. I know- that can be really hard.

    Take care and God Bless! I really enjoy your blog. So glad I found it!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. This kind of post is so special, and really shows the true meaning of the Christmas spirit. What a wonderful woman and how lucky you are to have experienced this selfless act.
    Merry Christmas Angie!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...