Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sonday - The Trip to Bountiful

On my top 10 list of favorite films is,
"The Trip to Bountiful".
It's a heartwarming film made in 1985, starring Geraldine Page, John Heard, Carlin Glynn and Rebecca De Mornay.  Geraldine Page won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance as Carrie Watts in this film.

Set in the 40's, it's the story of an old woman in her twilight years, whose dream before she dies is to visit her old home place in Bountiful, Texas (a fictional place).

I don't want to spoil it for you, if you decide to watch this film but let me tell you, I do think you'll be blessed by it.  I love the portrayal of this old woman who trusts in Christ and shares her faith in a frank and honest way, yet the movie doesn't portray her as a saint.  She has faults, questions and weakness, as we all do.

The film opens with the hymn, "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling", sung by Cynthia Clawson.
It might be a stretch to say she has the voice of an angel,
but I don't think it would be a big stretch.

Geraldine Page passed away in 1987,
but what a treasure is left behind to remember her by.

I do want to warn you that there is a bit of swearing in this film,
but it's brief and I believe you'll be blessed by this show despite that.

Hope your day is bountifully blessed,
Angie 

3 comments:

  1. I have seen this film and I agree it is a must see. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    thanks for this post! It was my mother's favorite movie. Since she was dying, my sister went to the theater and taped the movie's soundtrack, I know that is illegal now. It made her so happy to hear it. She died in October of 1986.

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie~

    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to see if Netflix has this one. Always like to watch something based in Texas. Have you seen Seven Days in Utopia? Great movie!

    My KISS party is up and running now!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make my day!