Saturday, July 16, 2011

Things That Were Hard to Part With

One of the pitfalls of liking the things you sell, is that sometimes it's hard to part with the things you sell.

I try to get only loosely attached, but still.

Here are a few items from the last year that I *really* hated to see leave:
1907 Waltham Ladies Pocketwatch I paid $6 for it at a consignment shop.  Yeah, someone's grandmother is rolling over in her grave over that. 

I actually had no idea it was a valuable watch - or even a gold watch.  My eyesight is awful, so I couldn't read the print on it.  I just thought it was pretty and wanted to put it on a chain.  My daughter read the back when I brought it home and I about flipped.

That should have been on American Pickers!
Antique Wooden Suitcase/Trunk
It had so much character.
Cast Metal Mantle Clock Case
It was just so bloomin' cool


1853 Pilgrim's Progress

What an amazing book - both for the literature
and its beautiful aged look.  It amazes me that
something made before the Civil War, that is *paper*, survived so well.

Antique Church Altar Salvage

*This* one was really tough to part with.  It sold so fast
I didn't even have time to enjoy it for awhile.

It was so unique and lovely, but the gal who bought it
absolutely loves it too - that makes me feel a little better.


Just a few of my favorite things.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth,
where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21

Sometimes I have to remind myself of this.

5 comments:

  1. That pocketwatch is stunning! :-)

    Emily
    emilysummers-designer.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEkkkkkk....Its a bitter sweet relationship when you love old things and have a shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to remind myself (and my mother) sometimes, if we miss out on a great piece, that it wasn't meant for us. It was there to brighten someone else's day ~ and maybe our find is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure find some wonderful things, Angie! I always say it's a perk of the job...we get first pick! I let most stuff go, too...

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...